Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Journal Begins: February 28, 1945

Feb.
28th ___ We left T... 00 _ we were really sorry to leave, ... [w]ere soupose to go at 1500 but somethi[ng] had to be fixed at the last minute. ... could see the lights of Long Beach till ... (Write to Dell.)

____________________
Elena's notes:

Reminder: Joe's word's are in black, my notes in blue. Where he missed a period or indented, I put a pink spacer.

"..." is used where the pages were too damaged for anyone to understand the words. Where I felt I could make educated guesses to the voids, I put my letters in brackets. As you can see,there was a lot of damage to this page. Only the first few pages of the journal has damage like this.

T = Terminal Island, California, the Navy Yard where the Mobile had been repaired. The "lights" Joe mentioned had only recently been turned back on, after the blackout restrictions were lifted. The photo above shows Long Beach as it looked in 1945.

1500 = 3 pm.

Dell was Joe's girlfriend from Long Beach.

No comments: